Project 4: "What's Cooking?" (Week 3)

After visiting the site, we were meant to design some 1:100 models - and do some site research/observations. All these had to be ready for Thursday when we had tutorials. These were meant to give a more exact aim for the project - what ideas are good and what ideas are less good or even bad. Through this development of three solutions, we were kind of supposed to choose one or choose the best ideas from the three responses to the site, in order to start thinking about stairs and light more in depth.

The workshop on Friday 17th, is the beginning of the 4th week - the week of the interim crit for which we need to have a quite strong idea of how our cookery school is located on the site.

The following photographs are some of my sketchbook work and models. I might try to explains my ideas while making them, but I believe some of them might be too vague for this.



This was my initial response to the site: draw and measure it myself. Try to imagine what it would look like from a birds eye view and get the floor area. I think it is roughly 140m2.




On Monday, I built the site out of 6mm mdf at 1:100 to locate my 1:100 study models. This was a rather straight-forward process: measure pieces, glue together using UHU. NB. UHU sucks for Mdf - glue gun is better.


On the site visit, I took some pretty pictures of textures found around the site. The idea behind these is to create a database or palette of different materials, which might be helpful. One idea the 1st year course reps talked about in a meeting in January was to start creating a database of samples from companies of different types of materials. I thought that a photograph database for the APL might be a clever idea as well.

One of the tasks of the site visit was to explore ways of how the cooking students and guests could get to our building and how traffic happens in front of the site - how the building reacts with the town. There are several ways: the obvious ones like walking, car, bus, metro etc. However, I decided to emphasize my research on the interaction of the river with the site. Sometimes, rather large ships pass by: especially at night, this creates a rather interesting effect.

As you can see by looking at my previous post on photographs of the site, I made connections between the locations of important aspects/buildings surrounding our site. Additionally these pictures are rather helpful in remember what the site looked and felt like. Views, textures, elevation.


Measured sketch plans of the site. This created a problem: 'Am I able to fit all cooking spaces on one floor on the site? and to have a bar too, where people would fit nicely?' The answer is: most likely not comfortably.


Sketches of interior spaces, looking at light, heights and textures of possible cooking/eating areas. Working in section is important. However, to get a true impression of the space perspective might be helpful.


Hence, I decided to take an important spot in my building design and do some rough sketches of what it would look/feel like to view the building from that exact spot. Single point perspective.


My three study models were most helpful, because they were three different solutions to the layout of the site. I very much enjoyed crafting and thinking about the way they work. Unfortunately, or well, fortunately, the tutors suggestions after the tutorials were helpful for me to redesign and take ideas from all the models in order to start creating my 1:50 model/design.


These three A3 sketch plans and sections show the relationship between the site, cooking/eating and outdoor spaces. They are rough and do not yet show stairs, because the workshop for stairs was only on the beginning of week 4.



One of my initial ideas was to create a basement for cooking or wine storage for my building. Wine is usually enjoyed with tapas and hence it sounded like a good idea. It was not even forbidden by the brief and would allow me more headroom on each of my 3 eventual floors. However, I don't think it is a good idea anymore. The casting of the basement was an interesting process though, and made me think of negatives, positives and voids of spaces.